Mobile phones and electronic devices are a part of modern society and the school accepts that many students will possess mobile phones and electronic devices. Phones are a useful tool, especially where the issue of safety is concerned. However, teachers and students have a right to teach and to learn in a classroom environment free from interruption by mobile phones and other electronic devices. Mobile phones in schools present a number of challenges. These include:
- Interrupting lessons and disrupting the learning of others
- Theft of mobile phones and music devices
- Mobile phones possibly being used to contact outsiders who may enter the school illegally
- Mobile phones with camera facilities presenting a real danger in terms of privacy and child protection
- Disrupting examinations and assessment tasks
- Being used inappropriately at excursions and other school related events.
- Downloading and transferring of inappropriate material
- As a tool for Bullies.
While we prefer students not have mobile phones at school, the College does accept that genuine safety concerns exist which require a phone to be brought on to College property; therefore, the school has adopted the following policy:
- Students are discouraged from bringing mobile phones to school. The school accepts no responsibility for mobile phones or music devices that are brought to school and undertakes no responsibility to investigate their misplacement, loss or alleged theft.
- Ignatius Park College recommends that mobile phones be switched off and placed in lockers by 8:10am and not taken out until 3:00pm. Where a phone rings or is seen by a teacher in class, assembly, or during school hours the phone will be confiscated by the teacher and secured in the school office.
- The phone will be returned when the student has discussed the school's policy and the student's breach of it with the relevant Pastoral Leader.
- Where parents need to contact their children during the school day, the school's telephone switch is the appropriate method.
- Mobile phones equipped with camera facilities are not to have that facility accessed at ANY time whilst on school property.
- Mobiles phones or other electronic devices which double as storage devices for school work are prohibited. All electronic files need to be stored on a device designed specifically for the storage of computer files only.
- If a mobile phone is seen or heard it is to be confiscated.
1st/2nd offence - The phone is to be given to the Pastoral Leader, the student to be given write outs.
3rd offence - The phone is to be given to the Deputy Principal Pastoral. The student will be placed on an amber detention.
Continuous infringements - The phone is to be given to the College Principal. Following an interview with the student's parents the phone will be returned and a Saturday Detention issued.
A student who uses a Mobile Phone to take camera footage of another member of the Ignatius Park College community is placing their position at the College at risk.