Our Defence Transition Mentor Program at Ignatius Park College strives to cater for the unique needs of Defence students and their families.
The Defence Transition Mentor’s role is varied and may change to suit the needs of Defence students at different phases of their school career.
Defence Transition Mentors’ activities include:
- assisting children and families to integrate into the new school and local community
- coordinating welcome and farewell activities for relocating students
- assisting to smooth the transition between schools and different education systems
- monitoring the social, emotional and academic well-being of Defence students
- referring students to student support services
- helping students develop self-confidence, self-reliance and resilience
- directing students to programs, services or opportunities that suit their needs
- encouraging student participation in cultural, sporting, academic and personal development programs within the college
- supporting students at school during times of parental absence from home (for service reasons)
- enhancing awareness and appreciation of the unique Defence lifestyle in schools and communities
You can access the Defence Transition Mentor in three ways:
Students may like to come and have a chat with the Defence Transition Mentor at any time by calling into the Student Services classroom or the Student Reception (at the staffroom).
Parents may refer their child/children to the Defence Transition Mentor, if they have any concerns, by phone, email or in person.
The boys’ teachers and Pastoral Leaders may also refer your son to the Defence Transition Mentor.
Our Defence Transition Mentor, Leanne Mahoney, is available Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 1.30pm, and is located in the Student Services classroom or the Staffroom. Feel free to stop in and say hello or alternatively contact can be made via telephone 4796 0222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.