One of Townsville's premier Rugby schools, Ignatius Park caters for teams in all age groups from Under 13 through to Open. Our Development Programme includes Under 14, Under 15 and Open boys, who participate in strength and conditioning training in addition to their regular skills sessions. These teams also undertake regular tours to experience competition with quality opponents from other regional and metropolitan areas.
Our students have many opportunities to participate representative competition, with IPC boys often selected for Townsville, North Queensland and Queensland representation. The IPC programme is an important development base for students wishing to continue their sporting careers beyond school. In addition, we participate in the Ballymore Cup, a state-wide competition in which we have often achieved selection as the Northern schools representative.
A major factor in the success of our Rugby programme is the international experience offered by our biennial tours to the UK, where our boys have the opportunity to compete against very strong opposition in a different style of game. This tour also includes coaching clinics with international coaches and provides a unique experience for our boys to become accustomed to a more physically demanding game and immerse themselves in other cultures. We also play host to a number of teams who visit Townsville during the Australian leg of their own international tours.
The IPC Rugby Union programme gives our students a strong foundation for success, whether they choose for play for representative honours for merely for fun and fitness.
Programs conducted at the College include:
- U14 and U15 development squads
- Regular strength and conditioning sessions for U15 and Open players
- Participation in the local school competitions during Term 2 each year
- An annual U13 trip to Rural Queensland
- An annual U14 trip to Brisbane
- An annual U15 trip to Downlands (Horan Shield) from 2017, the North Queensland Cup and a regional destination
- Participation in the U18 State Wide Ballymore Cup Tournament - at which we have achieved selection as the Northern schools representative on several occasions
- An annual 1st XV trip to Downlands (Horan Shield) and the North Queensland Cup
- A bi-annual European Tour - which has included the UK, Ireland, Rome and more recently the Somme battlefields of France and Belgium.