In Townsville, very few Catholic boys attended the Grammar school there and it was not long before a spirit of co-operation developed between it and Our Lady's Mount. Mr. D. Whelan, resident master at Townsville Grammar, assisted the brothers by teaching a special senior class in Latin, mathematics and ancient history at the brothers' residence from four o'clock till five forty-five each weekday, and from nine to half past twelve on Saturdays. His efforts and those of the brothers brought a higher than average percentage of successes in public examinations. The popularity of the brothers' work in the town prompted Fr. J. Rowan to make a formal request for brothers to establish a school at West End in the early 1920s, and though it looked for a time as though the move might succeed, nothing came of it.
Our Lady's Mount may have had one of the best views in Townsville, but its situation on Stanton Hill meant a daily climb for pupils and little room for expansion, though necessary additional class and science rooms were erected as needs arose. Part of the problem was alleviated in 1952 with the opening of St. John Fisher's, Currajong, which relieved Our Lady's Mount of some of the primary boys
(Tobin, S, M., 1987, Searching for wisdom; Catholic Secondary Schools in Queensland Education in Queensland, The Conference of Catholic Education, Vol 23, pp. 23-24.)